Brussels is wearing rainbow colours!
Every year in May, during the Pride period, Brussels is immersed in rainbow colours thanks to the work of the RainbowCity.Brussels project. The several initiatives that make up this project help spread the message of diversity, inclusion, and solidarity.
Brussels will be dressed in rainbow colours to encourage:
- Companies and building managers to partake by adjusting/installing lighting in rainbow colours.
- Brussels residents to radiate Pride by distributing flags and motivating them to use this flag during the Pride period.
- Brussels' store owners who are eager to decorate their shop windows in the Pride theme.
- Authorities to make adjustments in the public space (rainbow pedestrian crossings, traffic lights, public lighting, etc.).
- Projects to make rainbow colours visible in the streets and in prominent locations in Brussels (temporary lighting installations, stickers, canvases, etc.).
What does Brussels look like when bathed in rainbow colours?
Check our different galleries to find out!
The Rainbow Mobility initatives
Rainbow Light Installations
Maps and partners of the past years (2019-2021)
Projects and Partners in 2021
- Public Buildings
Parlement Fédéral – Federaal Parlement – Flag and Light Installations
Grand Place – Grote Markt – Light Installations
Brussels Parlement – Flag
Flemish Parlement - Flag
Town Hall City of Brussels – Flag
Régie Foncière des Batiment de la Ville de Bruxelles – Flag and « Happy Pride » Screen
Town Hall Commune d’Anderlecht - Flag
Town Hall Commune d’Auderghem – Flag
Town Hall Commune Berchem-Ste-Agathe - Flag
Town Hall Commune de Ganshoren – Flag
Town Hall Commune de Schaerbeek - Flag
Town Hall Commune de St-Gilles – Flag
Town Hall Commune d'Ixelles – Flag
Palais Egmont - Flag
Visit.Brussels - Flag
- Cultural spaces
Ancienne Belgique – Flag
Beurschouwburg – Flag and Light Installations
BOZAR – Flag
Cabaret Mademoiselle – Rainbow Curtains
Centre Culturel de Ganshoren - Flag
The Crazy Circle – Flag
Halles St-Gery – Light Installation
KANAL Centre Pompidou – Flag
Mannekenpis – Special outfit for IDAHOT
MIMA – Light Installation
MIM - Light Installation
La Monnaie / De Munt – Rainbow Columns
Musée Royal de l'Armée et de l'Histoire Militaire - Flag
Tour & Taxis – Flag
WIELS – Flag
NMBS/SNCB (Trainbow) – Brussels Central – Flag and Light Installation
NMBS/SNCB (Trainbow) – Brussels Midi/Zuid – Flag
NMBS/SNCB (Trainbow) – Brussels North - Flag
Region of Brussels – Rainbow Crossroads and “same-gender” pedestrian street lights
City of Brussels – Rainbow Crossroads
Commune de St-Gilles – Rainbow Crossroads
Federal Parliament - Rainbow Crossroads
STIB/MIVB – Rainbow Bus
STIB/MIV – Bourse Metro station – Light Installation
- Rainbow Lights Installation
Screen ICONIC Place de Brouckère – Belgian Pride video
Fountain Simonis (La Cabosse)
Université Libre de Bruxelles – Building A
VRT & RTBF Tower
European Parliament (Schuman)
- Rainbow Flags
Odisee - De Co-Hogeschool
Thales Alenia Space
Université Libre de Bruxelles
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
VRT & RTBF
Interactive Map 2021
Projects and Partners in 2019-2020
- P & V: Office building - Lighting Adjustments
- Belfius: Rogier tower - Lighting Adjustments
- ING: Office building - Lighting Adjustments
- Axa : Office building - Lighting Adjustments
- NMBS/SNCB (in collaboration with Trainbow): Central Station Brussels - Lighting Adjustments
- City of Brussels: Grand-Place Brussels - Lighting Adjustments
- The Belgian Pride (in collaboration with the City of Brussels): Bourse building - Covering columns with canvases
- Numerous other organizations: VUB, ULB, Google, AB, Bozar, Halles St-Gery, Tour et Taxis, Beursschouwburg, etc. – Outdoor flags
- City of Brussels and Brussels Region Mobility: Rainbow pedestrian crossings in the RainbowVillage, Flagey, and the European district
- The Belgian Pride (in collaboration with the Minister of Mobility in Brussels): Temporary light installation in the Rainbow Village
Interactive Map 2019
RainbowCity.Brussels in 2021
In 2021, Pride Events were uncertain, but Pride Month remains. The Belgian Pride absl/vzw still wanted to fill our streets with rainbow, reinforcing the support for the community no matter what. So we called on all our partners to show their support during the month of May by putting on their best Rainbow Colours, and the most support ever since the launch of the project!
In order to give the initiatives the most visibility, the Belgian Pride invested even more of its resources into this year's edition:
- Organise a communication campaign to spotlight the project and promote the actions and participating locations (through the website www.rainbowcity.brussels and #rainbowcitybrussels).
- Support and facilitate companies, organizations, and governments that want to take action.
- Encourage individuals to take their own actions in cooperation with other partners.