Brussels is wearing rainbow colours!
Every year in May, during the Pride period, Brussels is immersed in rainbow colours thanks to the work of the RainbowCity.Brussels project. The several initiatives that make up this project help spread the message of diversity, inclusion, and solidarity.
Brussels will be dressed in rainbow colours to encourage:
- Companies and building managers to partake by adjusting/installing lighting in rainbow colours.
- Brussels residents to radiate Pride by distributing flags and motivating them to use this flag during the Pride period.
- Brussels' store owners who are eager to decorate their shop windows in the Pride theme.
- Authorities to make adjustments in the public space (rainbow pedestrian crossings, traffic lights, public lighting, etc.).
- Projects to make rainbow colours visible in the streets and in prominent locations in Brussels (temporary lighting installations, stickers, canvases, etc.).
What does Brussels look like when bathed in rainbow colours? Check our different galleries to find out!
The Rainbow Flags
The Lighting Adjustements and light shows
The Rainbow Mobility initatives
Projects and Partners in 2019-2020
- P & V: Office building - Lighting Adjustments
- Belfius: Rogier tower - Lighting Adjustments
- ING: Office building - Lighting Adjustments
- Axa : Office building - Lighting Adjustments
- NMBS/SNCB (in collaboration with Trainbow): Central Station Brussels - Lighting Adjustments
- City of Brussels: Grand-Place Brussels - Lighting Adjustments
- The Belgian Pride (in collaboration with the City of Brussels): Bourse building - Covering columns with canvases
- Numerous other organizations: VUB, ULB, Google, AB, Bozar, Halles St-Gery, Tour et Taxis, Beursschouwburg, etc. – Outdoor flags
- City of Brussels and Brussels Region Mobility: Rainbow pedestrian crossings in the RainbowVillage, Flagey, and the European district
- The Belgian Pride (in collaboration with the Minister of Mobility in Brussels): Temporary light installation in the Rainbow Village
The project for 2021
In 2021, Pride Events are uncertain, but Pride Month remains. The Belgian Pride absl/vzw is still calling on you to show your support during the month of May by putting on your best Rainbow Colours!
In order to give your initiatives the most visibility, The Belgian Pride will:
- Organise a communication campaign to spotlight the project and promote the actions and participating locations (through the website www.rainbowcity.brussels and #rainbowcitybrussels).
- Support and facilitate companies, organizations, and governments that want to take action.
- Encourage individuals to take their own actions in cooperation with other partners.
- Develop a system in which Brussels' residents and businesses can easily receive tools and materials to set up an action.